Activity Description Introduction:
Urban Economy Forum is organizing a virtual roundtable on occasion of World Cities Day 2020 under this year’s theme: “Valuing Our Communities and Cities”. This roundtable aims to establish international dialogue on urban values; an important urban resource for urban growth.
To achieve greater urban prosperity, it is fundamental to establish dialogue on urban values and understand exactly what a city’s values are. By distinguishing and analyzing the characteristics of a city's values, decision makers are able to incorporate these values in their urban decision making and planning. This is a fundamental component to improving quality of life of cities and communities.
There is a significant gap in municipalities and urban development organizations regarding a comprehensive understanding of urban values. Opportunities and potential exist within urban centers that can be defined to improve the process of urban development. It is crucial to understand how to create this inclusive conversation in urban policies and incorporate them into relevant urban strategies, rules and regulations.
Public participation is one of the most important components to recognizing urban values. City leaders should innovate and create tangible actions to increase and involve more people to realize a better future for cities and communities.
Urban Economy Forum (UEF) aims to create this dialogue between national governments and international organisations through the lens of urban resources and SDGs, in particular SDG 11. UEF, through the annual forum and other national and international events, continues to provide opportunities to enrich and generate progressive approaches to urban values and resources.
Thursday, October 29, 2020 @ 9:00am (EDT – Toronto Time)
- Intersection between urban identity and growth in the context of Canadian Cities
- Urban Identity/values
- Urban architecture
- Urban resources
- Public participation
- Knowledge and innovation
Names and Titles of Speakers
- Reza Pourvizary, Chair, Urban Economy Forum
- Anantha Krishnan, Secretary General, Urban Economy Forum
- Julie Ward, Former British Member of European Parliament & Co-Chair, Urban Economy Forum
- Adam Vaughan, Member of Canadian Parliament & Parliamentary Secretary, Minister of Families, Children and Social Development
- Derek Giberson, Counsellor of Oshawa, Canada
- Eugene Van Den Berg, Fractional CFO & Finance Executive & Member, Urban Economy Forum
- Deqa Nur, Social Development, City of Toronto